Looking for amazing American-style Buttermilk Pancakes + gluten free too? These ones are the best! Easy to make, they are light, soft and perfectly fluffy.
This post uses Affiliate links from which I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I also earn from qualifying purchases. Commission earned is at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you for supporting this blog.
DON’T LOSE THIS RECIPE! PIN IT FOR LATER…
Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes + Gluten Free Too! But Are they as good as ‘normal’ ones?
These buttermilk pancakes are GOOD! Really really good. Not only are they gluten free, but they are light, fluffy, soft, slightly sweet and perfectly laced with rich vanilla.
I would thoroughly recommend that you take the opportunity to whip up a batch. Indeed, with Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday) coming up, you need no other excuse to indulge in a pile. Not that you need much of an excuse anyway… these gluten free pancakes make the perfect weekend brunch, mid-week breakfast, after-school snack, anytime dessert, or just because they’re delicious!
And YES… These pancakes are at least as good as any glutenous American Pancakes and more than worth the time it takes to make them.
What’s the best way to eat Buttermilk Pancakes?
Because these pancakes are thick American-style buttermilk pancakes, they are not made for rolling. They are best served stacked high and fresh (although they freeze and reheat reasonably well for a quick breakfast).
You can top them any which way, but they are just perfect piled with fresh fruit and drizzled with a little Maple Syrup. If you want to really hit the dizzy heights of decadence, melt some chocolate together with milk for an amazingly speedy, totally heavenly home-made chocolate sauce… And yes. I’ve given you the recipe for that too!
Whenever I make chocolate sauce, I always wonder why people buy the stuff? It is so incredibly quick to make and tastes way better than anything you buy in a bottle. Deep, dark and almost sinful, it contrasts beautifully with the vanilla in the pancakes and fruitiness of the berries…
Of course, that’s just my favourite way to serve gluten free buttermilk pancakes. I’m sure they would be equally incredible with a fruit coulis, honey, other fruit, banana, nuts, home-made chocolate hazelnut spread or anything else! Whatever floats your boat will be perfect…
Are Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes easy to make?
Without a doubt yes… If my daughter could make them single-handed when she was just 10, then you can too! They are (like any pancakes) a little time-consuming, but that comes from the frying and flipping, which simply can’t be rushed.
If you haven’t made American pancakes before, it may take a few tries to work out your best technique to get a reasonable shape and to flip them without getting the top batter stuck on the spatula.
Top Tips for making Buttermilk Pancakes
The trick to avoiding batter sticking to the spatula is to wait until the bubbles in the batter rise to the surface and pop, before trying to turn them.
It is equally important to let the batter stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cooking your gluten free pancakes. The wonderful thing about baking powder is that it goes through two activation stages. First when it gets wet and then when it gets hot. Letting the batter stand gives your pancakes extra rise and fluffiness!
Although I have given a recipe for a flour blend unique to getting these pancakes perfect (and they are best that way), they should nonetheless work well with other white gluten free flour blends, including my home-mixed Gluten Free Alchemist Blend A.
Keep them warm in the oven at low temperature, but always wrapped in a clean tea-towel so that they stay fluffy and don’t get ‘soggy’.
These Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes (gluten free) should absolutely not be reserved for Pancake Day. They are way too moreish. I am testimony to the fact that it is rather too easy to scoff at least five of these in one hit.
Make sure you hide the scales for a few days after eating a stack, but never feel guilty about eating them!
Other Delicious Pancakes You’ll Love on Gluten Free Alchemist
- Banana Buttermilk Pancakes
- Cherry Pancakes
- Super-Easy Blender Pancakes
- Oat Crêpes
- Belgian Waffles
- We also have a Gluten Free Batter index.
And for everything else… check out our Gluten Free Recipe Book.
Have you Made my Gluten Free Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes?
Tell me about it! I’d love to know what you think of them and to see your pics. Grab your phone and tag me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest! If you love the recipe, don’t forget to ‘star rate’ it too! Thank you
What did I use to Make these Pancakes? (AD)
Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes + Gluten Free (with Berries & Chocolate Sauce)
- whisk (preferably electric)
- small saucepan or microwave and glass bowl
- silicone/wooden spoon
- griddle or flat-bottomed skillet
- mixing spoon
- spatula (heat proof)
- Plate to keep the pancakes warm
- clean tea towel
- 100 g white rice flour
- 50 g potato starch flour
- 30 g sorghum flour
- 30 g tapioca OR sub the 4 flours above for an equal amount of your usual white GF flour blend (210g)
- 30 g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp GF Baking Powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- pinch fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs (UK large)
- 570 ml buttermilk 2 x 284 ml pots
- 55 g unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 115 g dark chocolate chopped
- 60 ml milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Weigh and mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum and salt, making sure any lumps are completely broken down. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla bean paste until light and airy.
- Add and beat in the flour mix until you have a smooth thick batter. Set aside and leave to stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the chocolate and milk into a small glass bowl and gently heat in the microwave (medium setting for 20 second bursts, stirring between each) or place in a small non-stick pan over a low heat, stirring very frequently until fully melted and combined.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Set aside while you make the pancakes.
- Heat a griddle or flat bottomed skillet until medium-hot and very lightly grease the base (carefully wipe the base with a little sunflower/vegetable oil on a piece of kitchen roll).
- Drop a spoonful of batter onto the pan and gently spread into a pancake shape about 10 cm/4 inches in diameter.
- When bubbles surface and pop at the top of the pancake, use a spatula to carefully turn it over and cook the other side. Both sides should be golden brown.
- Set aside in a pile, wrapped in a clean tea towel (place in the oven on very low heat to keep warm until ready to eat).
- Serve with fresh fruit and drizzled fresh chocolate sauce.
© 2019-2022 Kate Dowse All Rights Reserved – Do not copy or re-publish this recipe or any part of this recipe on any other blog, on social media or in a publication without the express permission of Gluten Free Alchemist
Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes + Gluten Free Too! Shared With :
- Fiesta Friday #315 with Angie and Zoale
- Full Plate Thursday #471 with Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
- What’s For Dinner #239 with The Lazy Gastronome
- Cook Blog Share with Lost In Food
- Creative Muster #371 with Fluster Buster and Adoring Creations
This post was originally published on 15th February 2015 and updated on 14th February 2020