I’m desperately trying to make the most of the season’s remaining cherries. It seems no sooner have they arrived than they are gone again! The season is short and the race is always on to gorge as many as possible before it ends, to preserve by candying and freezing and to bake cherries into everything…. sweet or savoury.
A few weeks back (just before the cherry season started) I was busy trying to make a new brownie. Originally, I had wanted to develop a pear and walnut version, but after accidentally creating the most amazing Heavenly Chocolate, Walnut & Pear Torte, decided to switch fruits, grab some cherries from the orchard and concoct an alternative flavour combo.
Cherries work perfectly with pecans and (of course) with chocolate, so a fusion of this ingredient trio looked like the way to go.
Good move! This butter-infused brownie is earthy and crunchy with sweet, nutty pecans and shot through with bright, chunks of honey-sweet summer cherries, which also add little bursts of fruity juiciness with each bite.
Made with plenty of good-quality dark chocolate, it is the real deal. It has been baked to a gooey moistness, so that it is neither too wet nor too firm. Equally, the sweetness has been balanced using a combination of both unrefined caster and soft light brown sugars, giving caramel undertones within the rich chocolate crumb.
As is the want with a good brownie, each block has a dry crisp top which blankets a chewy, sticky foundation. It melts in the mouth and leaves you reaching for another square. The variation of textures and flavours from the pecans and cherries within, add both interest and expectation, taking it to a higher level.
I will certainly be making more of this,,,,,, The fruit and nut combination is divine, but the recipe would definitely lend itself to a whole host of variations….
And if you have any left over (unlikely) or you can manage to sacrifice a couple of slices for the greater good of chilling down in the summer heat, then try making my Cherry-Chocolate Brownie (no churn) Ice Cream. Lush!
I am sharing (as always) to spread lots of brownie love with the following linkies :
We Should Cocoa with Choclette over at Tin and Thyme. Also with an ‘Anything Goes’ theme this month.
Simple & in Season with Feeding Boys.
Free From Fridays with the Free From Farmhouse.
Cook Blog Share with Sneaky Veg
Recipe of the Week with A Mummy Too
- Base-line an 8 inch/20cm square non-stick baking tin with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
- Melt together the chocolate and butter until smooth either in a heat-proof glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, or in a microwave set to medium heat at 30 second bursts, stirring well between each. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, almonds, salt and baking powder, ensuring any lumps are broken down. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, sugars and vanilla until well-blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and then the chocolate mix and fold through quickly, until your batter is even in colour and texture.
- Finally add and fold through the chopped cherries and pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until a sharp knife/skewer inserted comes out with just a few small crumbs attached.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin, before turning out and cutting.