No Bake Creme Egg biscuit cake is a perfect Easter treat. Quick & easy, you can make it with gluten free Rich Tea or Marie biscuits, or usual ones if you can eat wheat.
This post uses Affiliate links from which I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I also earn from qualifying purchases. Commission earned is at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you for supporting this blog.
DON’T LOSE THIS RECIPE! PIN IT FOR LATER…
Creme Egg Biscuit Cake – Make it gluten free… or not!
My Creme Egg biscuit cake tastes amazing… And although this one has been made for a gluten free Easter by using gluten free biscuits, it can be made with any Rich Tea or Marie biscuits… wheat-based or not. But be warned… it is very very addictive!
Even Mr GF (who can be very reluctant around sweet stuff and tells me he doesn’t like Creme Eggs) thought it was (and I quote) “bloody lovely”. If it can pass his taste test, I am pretty sure it will go down well in most households.
Why the iconic Creme Egg?
Easter isn’t Easter without a bit of Cadbury Creme Egg creativity… right? There is something about the thick chocolate shell encasing sweet, gooey white and yellow fondant which is simply irresistible. And somehow they have the ability to elevate pretty much any Easter bake (or no bake) to something spectacular.
Every year there seem to be more and more recipes that spring up across the internet. Bakers, cooks and bloggers challenge the boundaries of versatility for this innocent little Easter icon… But whether you love or hate to eat them, there is no denying they make for pretty pictures. If you are a food blogger, they are a photogenic gift!
Gluten Free Easter & the #FreeFrom Collections
This particular Creme Egg recipe for a gluten free biscuit cake, was born from a need to develop something to share as part of a themed collaboration with an amazing group of very talented free from bloggers. I was actually quite humbled to be invited to join them. They are such a creative bunch, who seem to be able to work baking miracles regardless of how many allergies or intolerances they have to cater for.
With Easter looming, the group decided to tackle seasonal Easter delights with recipes linked to the hashtag #FreeFromEaster. But we have also shared recipes for a #FreeFromBarbeque; #FreeFromChristmas; #FreeFromHalloween; #FreeFromHarvest; and #FreeFromPicnics.
You can find a list of links for Easter recipes from involved bloggers below… go check them out.
Is Creme Egg Biscuit Cake easy to make?
If you’ve never made a biscuit cake (also known as ‘fridge cake’, but not to be confused with Rocky Road which contains marshmallow), you really should give it a go. They are the easiest of ‘cakes’ to make… A “no-bake, throw everything together, tip into a tin and leave to set” job. Perfect for whipping up with the kids or as an impromptu treat. Seriously… Anyone can make this!
Calorific, But Not Over-Sweet
Biscuit cake recipes have various ingredient combinations and many of them add condensed milk, which I find can make it over-sweet. Given that Creme Eggs add their own sugar rush, this recipe avoids condensed milk and also uses dark, rather than milk chocolate to avoid any sickliness. Using mini Creme Eggs rather than the larger version also cuts down on excessive sweetness, yet still gives a distinctive Creme Egg hit. Although if you prefer more fondant, go ahead and use the big ones.
To tie in with the colour and to cover up the craggy surface, drizzle melted white and yellow-coloured chocolate across the top and decorate with some extra eggs. Beautiful huh?
Lots more interesting & unusual Creme Egg recipes from around the web
- The one that broke the internet : Creme Egg Cheesecake – Taming Twins
- The sweetie one : Creme Egg Fudge – Kerry Cooks
- The microwave one : Creme Egg Chocolate Mug Cake – My Fussy Eater
- The imposter : Scotch Creme Eggs – Amuse Your Bouche
- The dinner party one : Creme Egg Mousse Cake – Gluten Free Alchemist
- The sophisticated one : Creme Egg Chocolate Tart – Easy Peasy Foodie
- The simple one : Creme Egg Ice Cream (no churn) – Gluten Free Alchemist
- The frozen one : Creme Egg No Churn Easter Ice Cream Cake – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- The little ones : Creme Egg Cup Cakes – Gluten Free Alchemist
- The dark, squidgy one : Creme Egg Brownies – Supergolden Bakes
- The drinkable one : Creme Egg Milkshake – Fuss Free Flavours
- The French One : Creme Egg Macarons – Butter Hearts Sugar
Other #FreeFromEaster Recipes from the Free From Gang
- Easter Biscuits – Mel at Le Coin De Mel
- Traditional Gluten Free Simnel Cake – Gluten Free Alchemist
- Chocolate Marshmallow Crispie Squares – Nath over at The Intolerant Gourmand
- Berry Breakfast Easter Nests – Emma at the Free From Farmhouse
- Easter Rocky Road – Nova at Cherished By Me
- Hot Cross Bun Chocolate Rolls – Vicki at The Free From Fairy
- Mini Simnel Cakes – Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie
What I use to make biscuit cake
- A good set of kitchen scales
- My favourite mixing bowls
- A glass bowl which is heat-proof and safe for the microwave
- An 8 inch/20 cm cake tin/mould
- A spatula-spoon which is perfect for mixing and for scraping every last bit from the sides of the bowl
- Kitchen microwave oven
- And of course… A stash of Cadbury’s Creme Mini Eggs.
Made my No Bake Creme Egg Biscuit Cake?
Let me know if you make my Creme Egg Biscuit Cake! Leave a message below or take a photo and tag me on social media… You can catch me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. And if You have subscribed for the latest Gluten Free Alchemist news, don’t forget to sign up in the box below.
Other Easter Treats on Gluten Free Alchemist
No Bake Creme Egg Biscuit Cake
- 8 inch/20 cm round or square tin/dish
- cling film
- microwave or hob
- glass/microwavable bowl (or saucepan and bowl to sit over)
- sharp knife
- 80 g white chocolate
- yellow/orange food colouring paste
- 6 additional mini Creme Eggs to decorate
- a little grated dark chocolate
- Prepare an 8 inch round/square cake tin by completely lining with cling film (so that it hangs over the sides) and on top of this, base-line with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter, dark chocolate, golden syrup and cocoa powder into a large, microwaveable/heatproof bowl.
- Microwave on medium heat at 30 second bursts stirring between each, to melt all the ingredients until completely blended and smooth (if you don’t have a microwave, you can heat in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring frequently).
- Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Whilst cooling, prepare your biscuits, by either breaking with your hands or bashing (in a clean food bag and using a rolling pin) into smallish pieces. Alternatively, you can cut into thin sticks with a sharp knife. Set aside.
- Cut your mini Creme Eggs into halves lengthways.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chocolate mixture, biscuit pieces, 150g halved creme eggs and vanilla extract.
- Tip the mixture into the cake tin and push to the sides, so that it is evenly spread. It will look quite lumpy on the surface, but that will be covered by the decoration.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours until fully set.
To decorate :
- Remove the fridge cake from the tin and peel off the clingfilm and baking paper. Place on a serving plate.
- Melt your white chocolate in a small microwavable (I use glass) bowl, on medium heat at 30 second bursts, stirring between each until just melted and smooth (or place the bowl over a saucepan of just-simmering water, stirring frequently).
- Use a spoon to drizzle about half the chocolate over the top of the biscuit cake.
- Add a little yellow/orange food colouring paste to the remaining chocolate and mix thoroughly, then drizzle this over the cake as well.
- Whilst the chocolate is still unset, top with mini Creme Egg halves and a sprinkle of grated dark chocolate.
- Leave to set in the fridge.
© 2019-2023 Kate Dowse All Rights Reserved – Do not copy or re-publish this recipe or any part of this recipe on any other blog, on social media or in a publication without the express permission of Gluten Free Alchemist
Looking to be inspired to cook and bake gluten free? We have over 400 recipes on Gluten Free Alchemist. Why not explore our Gluten Free Recipe Book Index to get you started?
Gluten free Crème Egg Biscuit Cake shared with :
- Meatless Monday with Confessions of a Mother Runner and A Whisk & Two Wands
- Over The Moon #215 with Marilyn’s Treats and Eclectic Red Barn
- Cook Blog Share with Lost In Food
- What’s for Dinner? #241 with The Lazy Gastronome
- Fiesta Friday #321 with Angie, Frugal Hausfrau and Spades, Spatulas and Spoons