A delicious, fruity green smoothie full of superfood ingredients with no added sugar. Just a good healthy, nutritious glass to boost your energy and give your body a wake up.
This post uses Affiliate links from which I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I also earn from qualifying purchases. Commission earned is at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you for supporting this blog.
DON’T LOSE THIS RECIPE! PIN IT FOR LATER…
The Green Smoothie… Sometimes life just needs one!
This naturally gluten free, naturally sweet raw Green Smoothie is a perfect pick me up. It was originally born out of a need to find some energy at a time when life was tough. But let’s face it… life is often tough. It seems stress is part and parcel of our days… Nothing is simple anymore and the expectation is that we weave our way through daily chaos and dodge the ‘bullets’ that fly our way.
Sometimes life throws so many side-balls that you feel like you are sinking. None of your anchors are down and you are caught in a sea swirl so powerful, all you experience is the spin of the current dragging you down. I’ll be honest… I’ve had more than my fair share of those days. They’ve run into months and then years with multiple bereavements, mistreatment by managers at work and eventually the need to leave my career of 30 years (which I was damn good at), for my sanity and health.
But when your energy levels are low, a healthy, superfood smoothie may be the perfect antidote. Sometimes life just needs one!
What’s in it? The Healthy Smoothie with nothing added…
Full of an incredible array of beautiful green and yellow fruit, veg and nuts, this green smoothie packs a punch of health and vitality to restore some balance. There’s nothing added… no extra sugar or sweeteners… no bling… This is a superfood smoothie that needs nothing else. It’s naturally sweet, fruity and a joy to drink. AND it’s amazingly healthy…
The fruit and veg have been carefully chosen and balanced to complement each other both in flavour and to ensure a detoxifying balance of nutrients, anti-oxidants and energising vibrance. There is nothing worse than a green smoothie that tastes rank (and boy, there are a lot of them out there). I don’t buy the argument that ‘if it tastes bad, it must be doing you good’.
My motto is… ‘If it doesn’t taste great… don’t drink (or eat) it! Life’s too short…’
Magic in a Glass… What makes this Green Smoothie a Superfood Smoothie?
What makes something a superfood?
Although it is a fairly new term, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, a superfood is ‘a nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being’. Fundamentally, a superfood has to be rich in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.
Some studies have indicated that foods high in antioxidants and also flavonoids, may help to prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as reducing inflammation and improving immunity.
Whilst I have searched the internet, there appears to be no definitive ‘superfood’ list. However what is agreed, is that many of the currently identified superfoods are plant-based (although eggs and some oily fish also make it onto some lists). They also tend to be rich in colour… including leafy greens and some berries and nuts. You can find a helpful straightforward guide to common superfoods and their benefits over at Medical News Today.
The Superfood Qualities in this Green Smoothie
While lists may vary, the recipe developed for this green smoothie includes a number of consistently named superfood ingredients : Kale; spinach; kiwi; pistachio; banana; pineapple; baobab and grapes all make the grade.
This superfood smoothie is packed with Amazing!…
- Kale – The great green detoxifier… High in vitamins K, A and C and well known for its anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer nutrients. It even plays a role in reducing glaucoma risk.
- Spinach – Another great provider of vitamins K and A, as well as the minerals manganese, folate, magnesium & iron. And praised for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Baobab powder – A powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory and found to have about six times more vitamin C than orange.
- Pistachio Nuts – A rich energy source, full of vitamin E, protein and healthy fats (including oleic acid) which can help to lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
- Kiwi – Packed with Vitamin C and antioxidant properties, which help boost the immune system. The high fibre and potassium content may also support heart and respiratory health.
- Bananas – A great energy provider. Rich in potassium and vitamin C as well as fibre balanced with natural sugar, bananas can support stable blood sugar levels and heart health.
- Pineapple – With zero fat and cholesterol, but a whopping delivery of fibre, Vitamin C, manganese, potassium, magnesium and calcium, pineapple is great for boosting immunity and reducing inflammation.
- Even the Coconut Water contains simple sugars, electrolytes and minerals (particularly potassium and sodium) to help rehydrate.
Go blend… the Naturally Sweet Raw Green Smoothie is waiting!
So what are you waiting for? Give your body a little TLC. Go find the ingredients below, grab a liquidiser and blend until smooth, green and vibrant… I know for sure that I will be making quite a few of these over the next few weeks.
If you are wondering about blenders, I use a Nutribullet in my kitchen for blending smoothies. It’s sturdy, powerful and has served me well. However, from talking to other bloggers, recommendations for Vitamix products also come out well…
The one I have
Perfect for smoothies
Other Gluten Free Alchemist Smoothies :
Naturally Sweet Raw Green Smoothie
- sharp vegetable knife
- chopping board
- high-powered blender
- handful raw green curly kale
- handful raw baby spinach
- 10 seedless green grapes approx
- ½ fresh pear peeled, deseeded & cut into cubes
- 5 chunks frozen pineapple approx
- 5 cm length cucumber cubed½
- ½ banana peeled
- ½ kiwi fruit peeled
- ½ lime – juice of
- 1 tbsp baobab powder (heaped tbsp)
- handful raw pistachio nuts unsalted – shells removed
- 220 ml 100% coconut water (approx)
- Prepare your fruit and vegetables by washing, peeling, trimming, etc
- Put all the ingredients into a high powered liquidiser or smoothie maker and liquidise until smooth.
© 2019-2023 Kate Dowse All Rights Reserved – Do not copy or re-publish this recipe or any part of this recipe on any other blog, on social media or in a publication without the express permission of Gluten Free Alchemist
Gluten free AND Vegan (or thinking of heading that way?) – check out my post on Gluten Free Vegan – Surviving Veganuary and Beyond
This post was originally published on 09.05.2017 and updated on 15.01.2020