It is a while since Miss GF Makes last made an appearance on the blog. It’s not that she hasn’t been in the kitchen, but what with her starting secondary school and getting used to a whole new routine and myself increasing my hours from 4 days to full time, managing to find the energy and getting the timing right to photograph and blog her exploits has been difficult.
She has yet to have any cookery lessons at school, but for sure, she is extending her repertoire at home, and has started to cook us occasional family meals at weekends. She makes a mean Chilli and has no problem with parcel-baked salmon and roux-based cheese sauce.
These Ham and Potato Croquettes however, are a step further in the skill set…… she found a recipe in a gluten free cook-book that she was given by her child-minder as a goodbye present when she moved on and then (following the habits of her mother) pulled out the key bits of necessary process (in this case, making a thick roux) and massacred the recipe beyond all recognition to create a delicious dish that she could call her own.
As always, she decided to make them with absolutely no planning whatsoever and then expected all the ingredients to be to hand……. Fortunately I managed to find a few slices of Cherry Coke boiled Ham left over from last Christmas (yes….. really!) which were perfect for the croquettes…… and given that Christmas is nearly here again (more ham on the way…), Miss GF’s need for it was amazingly well-timed.
I also discovered a packet of Esgir Crunchy Crumbs that I had forgotten about in the larder. If you have never come across Crunchy Crumbs before, keep your eyes out for them (or get them from Ocado). They are corn-based ‘breadcrumbs’, which give a beautifully crispy coating and come from an innovative gluten free Spanish company – Esgir, that I first discovered at the Allergy Show a few years ago.
The photos for this post are pretty cruddy…… the light had all but gone and dinner was needed for hungry tummies which took priority over faffing for the perfect shot, but hopefully you will get a rough idea of how great they were.
I am sharing Miss GF’s Ham & Potato Croquettes with the following linkies :
No Waste Food Challenge with Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary – Miss GF used up last year’s ham and some larder-loitering Crunchy Crumbs to make these, but it is also a perfect dish for using up excess mashed potato.
Cook Blog Share – this week with Easy Peasy Foodie.
Gluten Free Fridays with Vegetarian Mamma.
Brilliant Blog Posts with Honest Mum.
Cook Once Eat Twice with Searching for Spice – Not only are these croquettes made with left over ham, but one batch makes loads, so you can freeze some for another day.
Ham & Potato Croquettes (makes approx 26 croquettes)
large handful frozen sweetcorn (optional)
- Put the butter into a large saucepan and melt over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the corn flour until smooth and free from lumps (it will be very thick).
- Return to the heat and gradually stir in the stock, beating with a wooden/silicone spoon.
- Gradually bring to a simmer, stirring until all the stock has been added and you have a very thick sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add the mashed potato, chopped ham, sweetcorn (if using), herbs and seasoning. Stir through thoroughly.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Put the breadcrumbs/cornmeal into a wide bowl.
- Once cool, take a large tablespoon of the ham-potato mixture and shape into a cylinder shape approximately 3 inches/8cm long.
- Dip and roll in the breadcrumbs/cornmeal until completely coated. Set aside until all the croquettes are shaped and rolled. Chill until ready to use.
- Pour sunflower oil into a skillet or large saucepan to a depth of about 1 cm/½ inch. Heat until a cube of GF bread sizzles.
- Gently lower the croquettes one at a time into the oil using a slotted spoon or tongs. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on either side until golden, then remove with the tongs/slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot.