These tried and tested gluten free Chocolate Orange Brownies pair a classic flavour combination in fudgy, citrus-infused, dangerously dark and moreish brownies. Free from gluten and nuts. Optional dairy free.
DON’T LOSE THIS RECIPE… PIN IT FOR LATER…
Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Brownies – A favourite flavour combo in a favourite treat
Meet my Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Brownies… Dark, delicious and dangerously moreish. They are made with dark orange chocolate, ‘spiked’ with a little extra orange extract for a truly citrus-infused experience. Tempted?
Chocolate and orange has become a bit of a favourite flavour pairing in the UK. From loaf cakes to cupcakes… to tarts, cheesecakes and mousse… I found a chocolate orange cocktail over at BBC Food, too.
At Gluten Free Alchemist we even have Orange marzipan covered in chocolate… AND… A full-on homemade simple Chocolate Orange wedding/celebration cake with Orange Chocolate Macaron.
But somehow, the combination in brownies (another favourite obsession) brings the two flavours together in perfect harmony. There’s no separation… These gluten free Chocolate Orange Brownies infuse into a single heavenly, densely fudgy slice. If you like your brownies a little bit fruity, this one’s for you.
What Chocolate can I use to make Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Brownies?
This recipe for Chocolate Orange Brownies uses real chocolate that already has orange infused into the bar. But for those of us who are Coeliac or gluten avoiders, the chocolate used needs to be carefully selected.
PLEASE NOTE… that although I topped mine with Terry’s Chocolate Orange slices, these are NOT certified gluten free. There are no gluten ingredients, but they do have a ‘MAY CONTAIN’ warning for wheat. Therefore if you are either Coeliac or allergic, you MUST choose a different brand.
But which one? Currently (UK December 2020)… Cadbury’s Orange Bournville is safe and adds an extra texture dimension with zesty orange bits embedded in the chocolate. Alternatively, the similar Tesco Zesty Orange chocolate bar and Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference Belgian Dark Chocolate Orange are good… As is the Lindt Excellence Dark Orange Intense Chocolate Bar.
I can’t find a suitable safe orange chocolate bar… Can I still make these brownies?
Yes… You can. If you are unable to find a suitable orange chocolate bar, then it is fine to use plain dark chocolate. The recipe already adds a little intensely flavoured orange extract for extra zing. So, if using plain dark chocolate, simply add extra orange extract to compensate.
Does the chocolate have to be dark chocolate?
Yes. When making my Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Brownies, be sure the chocolate is dark chocolate. Dark chocolate will melt and blend better into the base brownie mixture. But it will also complement the citrus beautifully and ensure the brownies have the intensity of chocolate they deserve, without extra sugar.
These beauties should and do pack a serious chocolate punch… enough to top up the winter serotonin banks with just one square… And if like me, you are not big on all the sickly sweet, diabetes-inducing, but apparently Instagram-fashionable brownies that seem to have everything from caramel to a full-on sweet shop thrown at them, rest assured. These gluten free chocolate orange brownies are definitely less sweet than many. And they need nothing extra to make them perfect.
Can I make these Chocolate Orange Brownies with ordinary wheat flour?
For obvious reasons I haven’t tried making my Chocolate Orange Brownies with ordinary wheat flour… However, for those of you not gluten free, I am fairly certain that the recipe will take a straight sub of gluten free for wheat flour.
Can I make this recipe dairy free?
This brownie recipe is already wheat free, gluten free and Coeliac safe. It can also be easily made dairy free with a simple sub of the butter for a good dairy free block equivalent and the use of confirmed dairy free dark chocolate.
The recipe does however rely on eggs and I have not tried making it with any alternative. Thus, it is not currently suitable for Vegans. Sorry.
When to eat Chocolate Orange Brownies
Chocolate Orange Brownies (whether gluten free or not) are a decadently divine treat at any time…
The chocolate-orange flavour combo is particularly popular as a Christmas recipe. And it is equally delicious at Easter and for other celebrations. But… these brownies are also simple enough to be taken on a gluten free picnic, popped in a lunch box, or stashed in a Tupperware to keep you sustained on a hike or when travelling gluten free.
But why stop there? For something extra special, upgrade and make a full-on chocolate-lover’s dessert… Grab a bowl, top with your favourite ice cream or custard and devour…
Made this recipe?
However you choose to eat them, if you do make my gluten free Chocolate Orange Brownies recipe, be sure to make my day by letting me know. It can be pretty lonely in the kitchen with my ‘cauldron’ sometimes… Knowing my creations are being enjoyed around the world gives me the motivation to keep at it, so that I can bring more and more wonderful recipes from my kitchen to yours.
Leave a comment or tag me on social media (links at the top) with your photos… And don’t forget to rate the recipe as well…
Not a fan of Chocolate Orange?
If Chocolate Orange isn’t your thing, that’s fine. There are plenty of other brownie options to choose from at Gluten Free Alchemist…
- Pear & Walnut Brownies
- Beetroot Brownies
- Banana Brownies with Coconut
- Very Gooey Chocolate Brownies
- Peanut Butter Brownies
- Minty Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate-Cherry-Pecan Brownies
- Toblerone Brownies
For everything else, check out our amazing Gluten Free Recipe Index
Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Brownies
- Kitchen scales
- 8 inch/20 cm square baking tin
- baking paper
- small saucepan or microwave and glass bowl
- large mixing spoon/spatula
- large mixing bowl
- whisk (hand or electric)
- 300 g dark orange chocolate dairy free if needed – ensure chocolate is gluten free as required. See NOTE
- 150 g unsalted butter or dairy free block alternative
- 3 large eggs room temperature – UK large (Canadian ‘Extra Large’; Australian ‘Jumbo’; and US ‘Extra or Very Large’)
- 70 g golden caster sugar
- 70 g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract See NOTES re increase if using plain dark chocolate
- 130 g plain gluten free flour blend I used GFA blend A – See NOTES
- Base-line a square non-stick 8 inch/20 cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
- Using a heat-proof bowl, melt and stir the chocolate with the butter over a saucepan of lightly simmering water, or in the microwave (medium setting, 30 second bursts, stirring between each).
- Once melted and smoothly blended, set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugars together until well-blended and airy.
- Add the orange extract and beat through.
- Add the chocolate mixture and beat until blended.
- Lastly, add the flour and fold through with a wooden or silicone spoon/spatula until combined. The mixture should be a thick dropping consistency – If it feels a little too thick, add a splash of milk and fold through.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until just firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool completely.
- It may help to refrigerate before slicing to make the cutting easier, and then bring back to room temperature before eating.
© 2019-2021 Kate Dowse All Rights Reserved – Do not copy or re-publish this recipe or any part of this recipe on any other blog, on social media or in a publication without the express permission of Gluten Free Alchemist
gluten Free Chocolate Orange Brownies shared with:
- Cook Blog Share 2021 Week 10 with The Rare Welsh Bit
- Full Plate Thursday #519 with Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
- Sundays on Silverado #21 with The House on Silverado
- What’s for Dinner #295 with The Lazy Gastronome