One of my favourite free from bloggers – Vicki over at the Free From Fairy has decided to take a well-earned break over the summer to spend time with her little ones. Sounds like a wise idea to me!
Whilst she is off enjoying the kids, she has asked a few fellow bloggers to guest post on her behalf…… including me! I am truly honoured. Vicki is a fantastic blogger with a huge, well-deserved following……. Thank you Vicki!
If you haven’t checked out Vicki’s blog, go grab a coffee and a free-from biscuit and surf! She is one of the most innovative bloggers out there and I know you will learn lots and lots from her….. I have.
Whilst Vicki is taking a break, I will be too…. Off to sunnier climes for a couple of weeks….. and frankly I can’t wait! I am exhausted and more than ready for some family time myself as well as some rest and recuperation.
Whilst we are away, my daughter will be having her 10th birthday. One of the problems (or benefits) of having an August birthday is that you are never at school for it and the big day has a strong chance of coinciding with a family holiday. My daughter may appreciate that timing when she is older, but right now, not being at school with her friends can be pretty difficult, with lots of melodrama and angst. Although she will have parties at home (either side of the holiday), I have decided to pull together a cake mix that can be whizzed up with basic extras and minimal equipment when we are away…. A sort of ‘have mix…will travel’ cake!
At fourth attempt, I am happy! This is a fudgy chocolate hybrid of a brownie-sponge cake. The prototype has been topped with crushed-raspberry cream…. Yum!
I intend for the actual birthday cake to be layered and filled locally with whatever I can find. Watch this space…… Assuming all goes to plan, I will share the results later in the summer!
Meanwhile I will be off-line for a while. Sadly I have not been as organised as Vicky and so won’t be posting for a couple of (three +) weeks…..
Meanwhile, I am sharing this travel and bake fudgy chocolate cake with the following :
Recipe of the Week with Emily at A Mummy Too.
Tasty Tuesdays with Honest Mum.
Catch you all soon…. In the meantime, have a great summer xx
Fudgy Chocolate Cake Mix
- Mix all the dry mix ingredients together, making sure any lumps are completely broken down. If taking away with you, store in a ziplock bag/airtight container until ready to use.
- Base line 2 x 8 inch non-stick cake tins with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
- Melt the dark chocolate (200g) and butter in a heat proof glass bowl, either over a saucepan of simmering water (stirring frequently) or in a microwave on medium setting in 30 second bursts stirring between each. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork until well-blended and creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat again with a fork until well blended.
- Add the melted chocolate mix and beat in well.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold until the batter is smooth.
- Add and fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin and then turn out, layer and decorate with your chosen filling and decoration.