A super-easy Healthy Chocolate Granola recipe with Cherry, Pear and Pecan. Simply mix and bake. Gluten free, dairy free, optional vegan.
DON’T LOSE THIS RECIPE… PIN IT FOR LATER…
Healthy Chocolate Granola recipe with a twist
Search the internet and there are dozens of Healthy Chocolate Granola recipes. But some are less than healthy and most are a little bit ‘same old… same old’. In an effort to break the boring and add extra healthiness to breakfast, this recipe promises to be a little bit different. Healthy Chocolate Granola with a twist!
I’ve combined the best and healthiest ingredients in my kitchen to make my granola… ✔️ But… I’ve also paired some very carefully chosen dried fruits that work in harmony with each other and with chocolate to get the tastebuds really excited.
What makes this Chocolate Granola Recipe healthy?
This Chocolate Granola recipe is full of super-healthy ingredients… Perfect for energising the day ahead. And even when it comes to added sweetness, the ingredients chosen have been carefully picked to be natural and unrefined. The detail? My Healthy Chocolate Granola is :
- Packed full of crispy-crunchy, immunity-enhancing, cholesterol-busting, slow-energy releasing oats. This is a bowl that seriously satisfies.
- Loaded with a generous quantity of protein-rich pecans and almonds. Both are known for their high ratios of healthy unsaturated fats, which support a lowering of cholesterol, as well as containing positive quantities of flavonoids which help fight inflammation.
- Healthy Chocolate Granola is sweetened with natural unrefined sugars in the form of maple syrup and coconut palm sugar.
- The chocolate in this granola recipe is also better for you… A hefty dose of cacao, which is packed full of antioxidants. Cacao will also boost your serotonin levels to literally put a smile on your face.
- Coconut oil has been used to roast and bind the mix. This too is considered to be better for you than many oils.
- The addition of dried pears and cherries add calcium and a shed-load of vitamins and minerals to the bowl. And the fruit takes the flavours to a higher level too… Cherries and pear are a perfect marriage with chocolate, adding an alternative chewy texture and tang.
Is granola easy to make?
My goodness… yes! If you have never made granola at home read on… It’s so easy, even the kids can make it.
Making Healthy Chocolate Granola (or any other granola for that matter) is simply a case of mix and bake… Grab a big bowl and a mixing spoon and then spread on baking trays in a low oven to toast.
That doesn’t sound too hard does it? It you prefer a non-chocolate option, we also have a delicious recipe for Apple Pie Granola as well.
How long will a batch of Healthy Chocolate Granola last?
You should get 16 to 20 portions of Healthy Chocolate Granola from this recipe. So, what is the best way to store it and how long will it last?
Because the baking process fundamentally dries out the ingredients by toasting, it will last for weeks. Of course, I challenge you to make it last more than a few days… It is so delicious, it will have you dipping your hands in the jar every time you pass and that means it will be gone in a flash.
Simply store in an airtight container or large Kilner jar, so that it is ready when you want it.
What’s the best way to eat Chocolate Granola?
There are lots of ways to enjoy Chocolate Granola. Here’s some of my favourites…
- In a bowl with a splash of milk… Cold or hot.
- Mixed into deliciously creamy plain or vanilla yoghurt (dairy or dairy free). Even cherry yoghurt is a great pairing.
- Serve with good bacteria-boosting Kefir.
- Sprinkle on a bowl of yummy porridge for extra crunch and flavour.
- Just dip your hands in the jar and munch as it is… Or pop into little containers for a sweet lunch-box treat.
Let’s make Chocolate Granola!
So, there you have it! Super-simple, deliciously-healthy Chocolate Granola. And below you’ll find the recipe to make it. Let me know what you think… Leave a comment, rate the recipe and don’t forget to share your photos of amazing breakfasts and snacks on social media… Use the hastag #glutenfreealchemist and tag me in so I get to see them.
More Breakfast Recipes to inspire…
For everything else, head over to our beautiful gluten free Recipe Book Index.
Healthy Chocolate Granola with Cherry, Pear and Pecan
- Kitchen scales
- Mixing bowls
- mixing spoon/spatula
- whisk (optional)
- baking trays
- baking paper
- large airtight container
- 400 g rolled oats gluten free
- 60 g cacao powder available from health shops
- 100 g raw pecan nuts
- 40 g flaked almonds
- 65 g coconut palm sugar or alternative brown sugar
- pinch fine sea salt
- 160 g maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g extra virgin coconut oil melted
- 1 large egg white optional – if egg-intolerant or vegan, leave out
- 90 g dried pear cut into pieces
- 100 g whole dried cherries
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 C/300 F/Gas 2.
- Line a couple of large deep’ish baking trays/roasting tins with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, weigh and mix together the oats, cacao powder, pecans, almonds, coconut sugar and salt.
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil and stir through thoroughly, until the mixture is completely ‘damp’ looking.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg white until light and frothy.
- Add to the granola mix and fold through thoroughly.
- Spread the granola mix onto the trays, ensuring the layer is not too thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then toss the granola with a spatula to turn over.
- Bake a further 20 minutes and toss again.
- Bake a further 10 minutes (approximately or until the mixture feels dry) and then turn the oven off, leaving the granola on the trays in the oven to cool as the oven cools.
- Remove from the oven when cool, tip into a large bowl and add the dried cherries and pear. Stir through evenly.
- Store in a large airtight container and enjoy as a snack to nibble on or with your favourite milk/yoghurt for breakfast.
© 2019-2021 Kate Dowse All Rights Reserved – Do not copy or re-publish this recipe or any part of this recipe on any other blog, on social media or in a publication without the express permission of Gluten Free Alchemist
Healthy Chocolate Granola with Cherry, Pear and Pecan shared with
- Fiesta Friday #363 with Angie and The Not So Creative Cook
- Blogger’s Pit Stop #254
- Full Plate Thursday #521 with Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
- Cook Well, Eat Well, Live Well with Confessions of a Mother Runner and A Whisk and Two Wands
- Sundays on Silverado #23 with The House on Silverado
- Over The Moon #261 with Eclectic Red Barn and Marilyn’s Treats
- What’s for Dinner #299 with The Lazy Gastronome