Gluten free Breakfast Cake with cacao and courgette. Packed with nutrition for a great start to the day. Wholegrain and optional dairy free.
This post uses Affiliate links from which I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I also earn from qualifying purchases. Commission earned is at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you for supporting this blog.
DON’T LOSE THIS RECIPE! PIN gluten free Breakfast Cake FOR LATER…
Gluten Free Breakfast Cake inspired by the harvest
Gluten free breakfast cake. It’s one of the best starts to the day. And this one is inspired by a super-sized courgette (zucchini) harvest.
Much as we love eating courgettes as a side, the continuing glut has meant a need to get more inventive every day with ways to consume them. My gluten free Breakfast Cake is the latest effort in the fight to tame the deluge. But it is quite possibly my favourite yet.
If you have ever grown zucchini, you will know that they are vigorous little beasts. Every year I tell myself to plant less. It makes no difference. They grow so fast that there are always too many to keep up with. But the fact that they are so easy to grow is a big draw. There’s nothing worse than growing food that either fails or takes loads of effort and space for little reward. Courgettes just keep on coming, no matter how little attention they are given.
What goes into gluten free Breakfast Cake?
This gluten free breakfast cake is a twist on the Gluten Free Alchemist Courgette Cookies, which are super-popular. But I thought that with a few ingredient tweaks and made as a tray bake, they might make wholesome, healthy and very sustaining breakfast bars. And indeed they do.
For a start, they are super-nutritious. Made with my rice-free flour B blend and gluten free oats and oat flour, they are full of protein-rich and wholegrain goodness. The courgette, which is high in fibre, antioxidants, potassium and Vitamin C (while also low calorie, low fat and low sugar) offers plenty of moisture and contributes to your ‘5 a day’.
There’s peanuts and hazelnuts which bring more energy-sustaining protein, minerals, vitamins and fibre and add crunch and depth of flavour. And for the chocolate-lovers amongst us, the recipe uses healthy cacao powder (which not only packs a flavour punch, but is full of antioxidants, minerals and B and E vitamins).
All cakes (even gluten free breakfast cake) need a little sweetness though… right? So, I’ve added a combination of a little soft light brown sugar and unrefined coconut sugar. It seemed a good compromise on the health front. Although… I did throw in a few dark chocolate chips for good measure. Although these can be simply subbed for carob chips or cacao nibs to keep the breakfast cake as healthy as possible.
Is this recipe easy to make?
Absolutely yes. There is no significant skill involved in making my gluten free breakfast cake. As long as you have a sturdy grater, a set of kitchen scales, some mixing bowls, an electric hand whisk, a mixing spoon, a baking tin, and an oven you’re good to go… The most fiddly part is grating the courgette!
Can I make gluten free breakfast cake dairy free?
Yes, you can. If you can’t eat dairy, no worries. Simply substitute the butter for a good dairy free alternative that you love and make sure you use dark vegan chocolate if you are adding the chips.
How long will courgette breakfast cake last?
My courgette gluten free breakfast cake will last well for several days in an airtight container in the fridge. Although you can also freeze it to make it last longer. Cut into portioned slices and it will be ready for a grab and go breakfast, or a mid-morning snack in the office.
Not only is my breakfast cake relatively guilt free, but it’s amazingly filling too. And unless you are a ridiculously hungry person, it should sustain you for hours.
Ready to make this recipe?
I hope so! Let me know how you get on. It’s been a keeper here and we hope you love it as much as we do.
Of course if you want some other great breakfast ideas, we have plenty more inspiration over on our Breakfast & Brunch Index page. With everything from waffles and Oat Crêpes, to breakfast muffins, Shakshuka, home-made Granola, Porridge Jars and breakfast bowls, we have you covered.
Other Courgette (Zucchini) Recipes on Gluten Free Alchemist
- Courgette Cherry Cupcakes
- Chocolate-Courgette Cake
- Zucchini Roll-Ups
- Oriental Courgette Noodles Soup
- Courgette Cookies
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Savoury Summer Upside Down Cake
Thanks for popping by
Gluten Free Breakfast Cake with Cacao and Courgette
- 9 inch (23 cm) square non-stick baking tin
- large sharp knife
- 125 g plain gluten free flour blend I use GFA rice free blend B (see NOTES)
- 25 g cacao powder
- 90 g GF oats
- 50 g GF oat flour to make at home – See NOTES
- 60 g tapioca flour
- 1 tsp GF baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 180 g unsalted butter (or DF alternative) softened
- 75 g coconut palm sugar
- 85 g light soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg UK large
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 280 g courgette/zucchini grated
- 40 g crunchy peanut butter
- 35 g chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 120 g dark chocolate (or carob) chips/chunks (optional) DF if needed
- Base-line a 9 inch/23cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
- Weigh and mix together the flours, cacao, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, until completely blended (TIP : Weigh into an airtight container and shake vigorously).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until pale and light.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat again to blend thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients, grated courgette/zucchini, peanut butter, hazelnuts and chocolate/carob chips (if using) and fold together until you have an even mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the baking tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is firm to the touch.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 20 to 30 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into slices and store in an airtight container.
© 2019-2023 Kate Dowse All Rights Reserved – Do not copy or re-publish this recipe or any part of this recipe on any other blog, on social media or in a publication without the express permission of Gluten Free Alchemist
Gluten Free Breakfast Cake shared with :
- Cook Blog Share with Lost In Food
- Meatless Monday with Confessions of a Mother Runner and A Whisk & Two Wands
- What’s For Dinner #280 with The Lazy Gastronome
- Create, Bake, Grow and Gather #436 with Shabby Art Boutique