How do you fancy apple pie for breakfast? Not the high-fat pastry version, but the very healthy Apple Pie Granola version!
Having been smitten with my Deliciously Healthy Chocolate, Cherry, Pear & Pecan Granola, I thought I would keep the experimental momentum going with something a little different.
I recently came across a new sugar-alternative in a fantastic health food shop local to where I live…… The alternative was an Apple Juice Concentrate made by Biona. Biona make some amazing healthier alternatives, including an Organic Date Syrup, which I have my eye on, but I was drawn to the apple as I thought it would have a tangy sweetness that may work with both sweet dishes and marinades for meat too.
The Apple Juice Concentrate was my inspirational base for this granola……. A virtuous combination of oats, quinoa flakes, seeds, nuts and coconut, alongside some deliciously tart, crunchy freeze-dried apple and contrastingly chewy dried pear…… all infused with caramel delightfulness, emanating from some additional coconut sugar and maple syrup, with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon……. Sounds like apple pie? Tastes like apple pie!
The Granola has also been baked with a healthy glug of coconut oil, making it crisp and storable…… but don’t expect it to last long. Just like the chocolate version, it is way too easy to snaffle a handful every time you pass the jar.
With or without milk, this is an angelic, healthy, sustaining breakfast, that will set you up for the day and get you through to lunch-time.
Last time I made granola, I added a whipped egg white and I was asked why I did this. My response was that I thought it helped to make the ingredients stick in clumps. I will admit, it was a bit of a guess, but it was really noticeable that not using egg this time round, the baked granola showed no evidence of sticking whatsoever. I have no idea whether this was the lack of egg or not, but if anyone knows for sure, can you enlighten me please?
I am sharing my Apple Pie Granola with :
Cook Once Eat Twice with Searching for Spice
Cook Blog Share with Easy Peasy Foodie
Gluten Free Fridays with Vegetarian Mamma
Brilliant Blog Posts with Honest Mum
Apple Pie Granola
50g rough-chopped peanuts
large pinch fine sea salt
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla powder
90g dried pear
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 C/300 F/Gas 2.
- Line a couple of large baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, weigh and mix together the oats, quinoa, seeds, nuts, coconut, coconut sugar, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the apple syrup, maple syrup and coconut oil and fold through until ‘damp’ looking.
- Spread the granola mix in a layer across the baking trays.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then toss the granola with a spatula to turn over.
- Bake a further 20 minutes and toss again.
- Bake a further 10 minutes (approximately or until the mixture feels dry) and then turn the oven off, leaving the granola on the trays in the oven to cool as the oven cools.
- Remove from the oven when cool, tip into a large bowl and add the freeze-dried apple and dried pear. Stir through evenly.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy as a snack to nibble on or with your favourite milk for breakfast, sprinkled (if you prefer) with a little brown sugar.